15 Reasons to Visit AlUla in 2021
The Voice of Chandigarh News| Travel Trade Reporter
AlUla is making waves worldwide with it’s newly launched domestic brand campaign and for being a new and upcoming tourism destination. AlUla is glad to bring you 15 top reasons to visit AlUla once the borders are open.
- Marvel at the 94 elaborately-carved tombs built by the Nabataean Kingdom at Hegra, Saudi Arabia’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Stroll through the labyrinth of 900 mud-brick houses that make up AlUla Old Town. Take a tour with a Rawi up to the castle to get a bird’s-eye-view.
- Catch the magical 30-minute window when the sun rays illuminate the path of The Siq at Jabal Ithlib, the Holy Mountain at Hegra.
- Explore the open-air living museum of AlUla through aerial views from a vintage aircraft, a helicopter or a hot air balloon.
- Spot the carved lions of Dadan and the rock inscriptions at Jabal Ikmah to uncover stories of ancient civilisations.
- Trainspotters and history buffs must visit Hijaz Railway and Hegra fort and learn about the famous train route.
- Be one with nature on a half day Adventure Trail through the dramatic Madakheel landscapes or try the shorter Hidden Valley or Oasis View trails.
- Follow the pack on bike or horse-back with these newly launched leisurely trails through the sand dunes of AlUla’s unique landscapes.
- Feel the wind in your hair while whizzing through the canyon on a zipline, or hire a three-wheeled desert buggy at the new Adventure Canyon.
- Bike/hike to Harrat Uwayrid for brilliant views of Hijaz Mountain range, the ideal backdrop for sunset photos.
- Visit Maraya – the Guinness Book of Record’s biggest mirrored building. This multi-purpose concert and entertainment venue is reopening early 2021, its cladding of 10,000 square metres of mirrors reflecting the desert landscapes makes it a magical experience that is never the same.
- Coming in 2021, Habitas AlUla, an eco-resort with a focus on immersive music and cultural events, and Ashar Resort, 5-star luxury desert suites which will transform into a Banyan Tree Resort later in the year. Both will be opening for bookings during the course of the year.
- Book an evening Stargazing Tour at Al Gharameel, get comfortable on a traditional carpet and as you stare into the bright stary night and hear stories of the human ingenuity of ancient civilisations – it’s like 2020 didn’t happen.
- Go hunting for rock formations at sunrise or sunset, the best time to view iconic AlUla rocks such as Elephant Rock, Face Rock, Rainbow Rock, Hand Rock, Dancing Rocks Or Pyramid Mountain.
- Take a stroll through the oasis of lush palm groves or visit AlUla Fresh Farm and sample the varieties of zingy citrus fruits, such as the Jaffa orange and helo lemons or enjoy the desert while sipping on an Arabic coffee.